Changsha No. 1 Middle School - A Virtual Tour

First off, sorry about not posting on this blog for a while! We moved to site (Rong Jai Won) and didn't have good enough internet access to update Zwischel - The Blog, but all is well (enough) now.

I thought since Melissa and I spent so much time at Changsha No. 1 Middle School (Changsha Yi Zhong) I would give you all a sort of virtual tour through the campus. Try not to be too bored!

Speaking of bored, this first shot is of the campus library, which, like most other buildings on campus, is built in an open-air layout. This is the main lobby of the building, and provides access to all four (or five?) floors. You can actually see a gardener tending to one of the top trellises in the photo if you look hard enough. We always stuck to the first floor media room, so we didn't get a chance to see all of it, but I'm sure we didn't miss much.

This shot is of me acting like an idiot in front of a big metal mural-ish thing. There's probably a better word for that, but I don't know it. Anyways, I'm kicking the metal soccer ball. This is on the second floor of the main teaching building, which is also built in an open-air style.

This is a shot of the courtyard water feature, stocked full with golden colored fish (all alive). As you can see, the 'grass' looks like immature rice plants. I think this may be an homage to the many rice fields in the surrounding countryside.

Next, we go to some sort of garden stocked full with hearty plants, both tropical and not. The thing that struck me about the flora here in Hunan is that deciduous, coniferous and tropical plants live side by side. Weird.

This last shot is of an entrance to another teaching building. Not much to say about it, as the photo speaks for itself. Changsha Yi Zhong's campus is large and pretty neat, for a school.

If you're awake, congratulations! You've made it through my virtual tour! Yaaaaayyyy!

Cullen

3 comments:

Evelyn Fischel said...

Impressive!

cody said...

I feel like if you were a NY Times OP-Ed guy, you'd be ranting about how far ahead of us the Chinese are in education. But if you were a NY Times OP-Ed guy, I'd probably disown you. So, I guess it's good that you're not!!! >v<
p.s. Your postings are nicely done, as always! They're conversational, funny and informative! Ever thought about doing something like this for a career?

Cullen said...

haha, thanks Cody! I'm really glad that you guys are reading the blog! The problem before was that we needed a reliable comp that we could put our photos on. This is fixed now. In fact, I shall continue...