
Today, our Chinese teacher gave us a special treat before class! It was stinky tofu! I know you're jealous!

So, a little background to this wondrous 'food item': I had passed a certain garbage can near Walking Street that has consistently smelled as if it was used as a vomit and diaper receptacle. I'm not even kidding about how terrible this smell is. It turns out that the trash can is next to a stinky tofu stand, and that smell is the waste products of that 'treat'. Everyone throws away their used wrappers and unfinished stinky tofu in that trash can. For more info, the wikipedia page for stinky tofu is
here.

Anyways, I didn't want to upset the teacher, so I tried a little, and I have to say that I wish I had not been so polite. Everybody else thought it was OK, but that was because they dipped theirs in soy sauce. Mine was straight out of the bag, dripping with stink. Melissa wisely did not try the stinky tofu, but was equally grossed out by the whole experience.
~ Cullen
4 comments:
Awesome description, Cullen! You are brave. Hope there were no repercussions.
I have heard about stinky tofu on "No Reservations." Even Anthony Bourdain was grossed out. I think mely made the right choice. I'm glad you got some cake and ice cream on your birthday!
finally, something worse than my cooking!!! enjoy, we'll write soon!!
Hi Cullen and Melissa,
Looks like you are settling in to life in China.
We will miss you at Josh and Cameren's wedding next weekend but will lok forward to reading of your adventures.
xo
Janice
Post a Comment