In this very special entry of Zwischel - The Blog, I will introduce you to Chinglish. Now, as the name entails, Chinglish is a super-language invented by the Chinese. It combines the grammatical structure and randomness of the Chinese character system with very poorly translated English. Hence the name, Chinglish. Melissa and I were informed that the problem is not that China lacks translators, but that China lacks proofreaders. However, after reviewing an incredible amount of Chinglish during my brief time here in China, it is my opinion that China's fleet of English translators are child laborers on summer break from preschool. Of course, I'm kidding (don't block this site, China!).
Above is a photo of an advertisement for some sort of skating rink/small city located within Martyr's Park in Changsha. Below is a description of an abandoned children's playground (complete with outdoor ball pit), called Rainbow City, and its rules. Please read:
Hilarious.
Our Chinese teacher gave us a survival guide that lists certain dishes that we are able to order in restaurants. I don't know what 'strewed chooped fish' or 'cucumbers friend meat' are, but I don't think I want them.
We didn't take a lot of photos of Chinglish, but since there is such a high demand, we will do our best to supply these pictures. Hope you enjoyed the pictures so far!
Cullen
2 comments:
They need you there!
very much happiness for the festive trip you sprinkle upon us!! some forward looking at stories new on tomorrow!! Love, gere,lendi
Post a Comment