It was a rainy day here in Rong Jia Won, which is actually outside of the norm. You see, it's normally just as dark and hazy, but the dust that blows in my mouth makes me squirm as if I'm trapped inside some sort of a chemical toilet. However, when the clouds do decide to burst over this filthy town, I'm just a little bit grateful that it's finally getting a long-overdue bath. If this town were a Peanuts character, it would definitely be Pig-Pen.
It just so happens that the other day, I received my absentee ballot from my way awesome parents. After wrestling about five layers of clear packaging tape off of the envelope (thanks!), I triumphantly removed my prize and then spitefully cast it aside, as if to teach it a lesson for being so hard to reach. The next day, I filled it out (I will contribute to the Obamanation) and printed USA in rather large Chinese characters on the outside of the envelope. Thinking that this was enough for one day, I saved the dirty work for the next day.
During my mid-day break between classes, I walked headlong into the Chinese drizzle, making sure to step in every damn puddle in my way (...) towards what I thought to be the post office. Now, I'm hardly used to the American post office, let alone the Chinese one. So, I wasn't really expecting much success from this trip. I arrived at a horrible little shop called China Post Postal Savings Bank, went in and stood on line with all the other Zhous. I soon realized that this was actually a bank, and I would look like a moron handing the teller my envelope to be mailed. I walked outside looked to the right and saw another building named China Post. I walked into that building, saw a woman sitting behind a long desk and handed her the envelope, knowing full well that I could be making a horrible mistake. She took the envelope, put it on a weighing tray and tried to look up its cost. After a minute, she handed it back to me and blabbered something. I knew I was defeated at that moment.
I may need a little more help than the American spirit the next time I try to mail my ballot. Perhaps I should bring a Chinese person?
Cullen
1 comments:
If you had spent any time in the post office at home, you would have realized that this is their universal approach to the lowly customer. Postal workers rarely feel the need to go out of their way for anyone. Good luck with Round 2. NEXXTTT!!!!
Post a Comment