
Every time that Melissa and I have eaten out, it has been with a group that has ordered food for us. Tonight, we decided to go out on our own and try out our incredible Mandarin skills by ordering dinner for ourselves.

Before we left, we took our handy cheat sheet and dictionary, and got some advice from our field director. Armed with these resources, we entered the restaurant and were promptly seated. Every Chinese meal starts out with a light tea, which is the substitute for water, as all Chinese tap water is undrinkable, unless it is purified somehow. When the water for the tea is boiled, all the bacteria and parasites die, and I think that the restaurants would rather serve tea and make it special, rather than just serving boiled water.

We ordered an eggplant dish (
qie zi), a sliced beef and green pepper dish (
qing jiao shou rou tiao), a bucket of rice (
mi fan) and a pi jiu (
Budweiser). The food so far has been heart-stoppingly oily, MSGy and all around bad for you. However, it all has been delicious. I can't think of one thing that I've eaten at a restaurant that I have not liked. In all, our dinner came to 42 kuai, which I think is something like 6 dollars. Luckily, we are receiving a meal allowance that covers most of the cost of our meals.
More on the food later...
~ Cullen
3 comments:
Mmm...food sounds delicious. So the cheat sheet worked out okay then? I like the pictures you have included. What does your training place look like?
I like your new header! Keep the photos and postings coming.
very coool, wish we had parks like that, maybe you'll open your american restaurant w/ fusion/indochina influences...., from stiffler's mawm
Post a Comment