Leading Our Children... Into the Future!

This lovely Soviet-style, futurist-looking statue greets visitors to our school's humble library (we have yet to see an actual book in there). For the first month, I just kind of just glanced at it in passing, wondering, "What the eff?" every time. That is, until I recently took a closer look at it...

As you can see from the closer-up view of the statue, the teacher and student are riding an iron wave. This is obviously symbolic of their ultimate goal of smelting the seas. Do you see the rather large atom? The teacher has it dangerously placed in her hand, and holds it like a carrot in front of her student. But look again! The first picture makes its meaning clearer: the students here grab at 'the atom' clumsily, like an infant trying to catch a baseball. If I were a student here, I would not be amused by the administration's poorly veiled lack of faith in the student body's abilities.

Or, would I be too busy looking up the statue's skirt? Artsy...

Cullen

0 comments: