Hong Kong: Ocean Park


Hey all,
 
For our first full day in Hong Kong, we decided to visit Ocean Park, which is located on the Southern end of Hong Kong. I know this sounds like a touristy thing to do, considering that we could technically go to Sea World or something like that back in the States. Well, we didn't think about that at the time, so back off! 

Excuse me! Sorry, I'm just passionate about marine life. Now, on to the show!

Our first stop was a large bird atrium, packed with exotic-ish birds. It was here that Melissa told me that I am a Chinese tourist, because I take about a thousand pictures when I go on vacation. Well, excuuuuuuuuuuse me! 

Next stop was the Jellyfish Extravaganza! 

After that, we checked out the incredible Chinese Sturgeon!

Then we went to an exhibit that was actually an artificial reef with hundreds of fish, sharks, rays and turtles on display, and the only good picture that I took was of this boring seahorse. 

Okay, so this one came out, too. Pretty weird looking, right?

On the other side of the park was the panda exhibit, and to be perfectly honest, it wasn't all that awesome. Don't get me wrong; it was great to see these rare animals, but they were in such a confined space that it was hard for them to live up to my expectations. Also, the one panda that was eating bamboo right in front of the glass got up and moved to the back of the exhibit as soon as I elbowed my way up to the glass. So that sorta ruined it for me. Dumb bear! Look at me when I am taking your photograph!

After that, we managed to see a show starring a flock of dolphins and two wacky sea lions. I say 'managed' because we didn't make the show time to get a seat, and instead had to use all of our cunning to locate a standing view of the show. The show was set to music and featured a tale about how people and animals are supposed to live together in harmony. However, I'm sure that the sea lions would hold their handlers down with their flippers while the dolphins ram them in their crotches, given the opportunity. 

This big guy is looking at the worker in charge of feeding him, who is standing to my left. He did a pretty good imitation of the dramatic chipmunk, as he pretty much flung his entire upper body into his stare. You can actually see a small fish in mid-fling heading towards him in the picture. Yum...

Ocean Park was a lot of fun for both of us, and I like to think that the animals had a good time as well. 

Cullen

1 comments:

Melissa said...

i disagree that the sea horse was "boring". he was depressed. he's allowed to be, poor captured creature... just waiting amid endless camera flashes from tourists like you for the sweet release of death.... i need to go eat 10 lbs. of chocolate and pass out in a pool of tears and drool now, if you'll excuse me.